In this article I will do in-depth on the mechanics behind Happiness in the Pokemon games. You can have a look at the video on the same topic in the end of this article.
The first, and probably most important, thing to know about happiness, is that likewise to EVs and IVs, you cannot actually see the Happiness stat in the current Pokemon games. You may feed your Poke Beans in the Pokemon Refresh or Pokemon Amie features, the Pokemon may jump real excitedly and smile at you, but none of these has anything to do with the Happiness stat. You may have a look at the Misconceptions picture below or read on Bulbapedia here.
To not make this article lengthy, I'd like to make a section with everything to know about Pokemon Happiness:
1. Happiness and Friendliness is the same thing!
2. Be aware of the many misconceptions surrounding this mechanic.
3. You can make use of Pomeg Berry, Kelpsy Berry, Qualot Berry, Hondew Berry, Grepa Berry or Tomato Berry to increase a Pokemon's Happiness.
4. The Happiness stat was introduced in Pokemon Yellow, exclusively for the Trainer's Pikachu.
5. In Pokemon Gold and Silver all Pokemon got their own Happiness stat.
6. From Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire and onwards, Pokemon may have different Friendliness values when obtained.
7. Most Pokemon start at a base happiness value of 70.
8. The Cleffa line, the Happiny line, Lopunny and the Lake Trio (Azelf, Uxie and Mesprit) are all starting at 140.
9. Pokemon like Mewtwo, Lugia and Ho-Oh (among others) will start at 0.
10. There are a few exceptions to what base value a Pokemon has when obtained: If caught in a Friend Ball the Pokemon will start at 200 and if a Pokemon is hatched from and Egg it will start at 120.
11. You need max Happiness to obtain the Footprint Ribbon.
12. The moves Return and Frustration are dependent on the Pokemon's Happiness.
13. The moves Draco Meteor and Hydro Canon (among others) are said to need high or max happiness in order to be taught.
14. There are Friendliness Raters in the Pokemon games. Certain NPCs in-game will tell you an approximate of your Pokemon's Happiness value.
15. Certain Pokemon evolve when their Happiness stat is above 220. Have a look at the pictures below to see a list of these Pokemon!
Increase and decrease Happiness
A Pokemon's Happiness will increase by:
- Level up
- The use of vitamins and friendship-raising berries
- Walking 128 steps
A Pokemon's Happiness will decrease by:
- Letting the Pokemon faint
- The use of Energy Powder, Heal Powder, Energy Root or Revival Herb
Economy student at NHH and content creator on YouTube. I am currently learning Japanese. I am a big fan of Gary Vaynerchuk, Jordan B. Peterson and Pokémon.